Author Topic: BIOS field for serial numbers  (Read 7179 times)

Offline jherlihyTopic starter

BIOS field for serial numbers
« on: November 08, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
Our recent ByteSpeed products have come with the serial # set in the BIOS so that our inventory database can see and report it, all of that is working great.  I have also made use of the "Intel Integrator Assistant" to fill in the missing field on some of our older products; it works fine for the DG31PR and D946GZIS but no others so far.

Is there another utility that would work to fill in the serial number field on the other motherboards?  It seems like some of these other boards on the laptops and such, e.h. sp15s and v10s, should be new enough for the IIA utility to recognize them, but it does not.

Offline lhulne

• Administrator
    • ByteSpeed
Re: BIOS field for serial numbers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »
The IIA utility will only work for Intel manufactured motherboards. Those other models are intel chipsets but Intel does not manufacture the actual motherboard.  We do have a few utilities that will do that for those laptop models, i'm not sure there is 1 that will work on all of them but I am attaching one to try. This update needs to be ran from DOS however. From the DOS prompt run dmi.exe and it should bring up a menu with a list with the options you need.
Lucas Hulne
Production Manager
ByteSpeed LLC
Toll Free: 888-658-0715
Fax: 218-227-0498
www.bytespeed.com

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:26:12 AM »
That was a fast response. :)  Tested on an SP and works perfectly, thank you.  Off to try it on some others and will report back.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:56:15 AM »
So just to followup... the DMI works on SP15 & Z96f laptops, and v10 netbooks.

The IIA is hit or miss, I can have 2 PCs of the same run and presumably the same mb...one will run it fine, the other will complain it isn't an Intel board, so the latter has to get the Intel Toolkit treatment, which isn't nearly as slick as IIA.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 08:54:47 AM »
Resurrecting the old topic.  Our recent batch of B45 laptops came with strings of random numbers for the serial number, and none of the tools I have tried seem to work.  I'd also like to fix some of the SP15 laptops that say "To be filled by O.E.M." for the Manufacturer string.

Any idea on tools for these?  Neither DMI nor IIA work.

Offline lhulne

• Administrator
    • ByteSpeed
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »
i think the DMI tool should work for the SP15. if you type dmi /?, does it show you a list of options? is dmi /sm one of those options?

I will have to get back to you on the new model.
Lucas Hulne
Production Manager
ByteSpeed LLC
www.bytespeed.com

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »
i think the DMI tool should work for the SP15. if you type dmi /?, does it show you a list of options? is dmi /sm one of those options?

The copy I have (give above in an attachment a few months ago) doesn't have an /sm option.  The few options it has are just to set a few strings via command line, rather than entering "dmi" by itself and then doing it via the menu options within.

However, now the info entered via dmi seems to stick.  Before, you could run dmi, enter in the string of text but it would always report back "the field now reads X" where X was the previous value.  Tried it again this morning with a fresh USB key to boot off of, and it works fine.

The only thing I can't seem to alter on these SP15s is the Manufacturer.  Via dmi I set the "Base Board Product Name" to "ByteSpeed LLC", but our inventory db (OCS Inventory) picks up "PEGATRON CORP." from somewhere.  That's minor though, I'm mainly interested i nserial # tracking now that we're hitting ~800 devices.

Thanks for the help. :)

Offline lhulne

• Administrator
    • ByteSpeed
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »
and the tool still does not work on the BR45 after making the new flash drive?
Lucas Hulne
Production Manager
ByteSpeed LLC
www.bytespeed.com

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 12:01:53 PM »
and the tool still does not work on the BR45 after making the new flash drive?

Actually that last msg was in regards to the SP15.  The BR 45 I hit a roadblock in another way;  usually I make a bootable usb key in Symantec with PC-DOS and copy dmi.exe onto that, but the B45 apparently won't boot from a PC-DOS drive, it just hangs.  Tried it from a WinPE-formatted key and it wouldn't recognize dmi as a valid exe file.